Weston & Sampson has a team of experienced professionals who have been involved with the planning, development, operation and maintenance of many breweries and facilities. We have worked with several breweries providing assistance with permitting and design of pre-treatment systems for their wastewater discharge to remain compliant with state and local regulations. Weston & Sampson is in an excellent position to provide services and technical resources to breweries in all stages of production to support current and future infrastructure needs.
CASE STUDY: In addition to several other breweries, Weston & Sampson has provided services for The Alchemist Brewery, a small, family run brewery specializing in fresh, unfiltered IPA. They are currently focused on brewing one beer perfectly – Heady Topper, an American Double IPA. For eight years, Heady Topper was served exclusively at a seven barrel brewpub in downtown Waterbury, Vermont. As the beer’s popularity increased, the family decided to expand production and in early 2011, the Alchemist Cannery, a 15 barrel brewery and canning line, was built in Waterbury. Today they brew 180 barrels per week in twelve 15 barrel batches. The Alchemist is now constructing a 9,000 barrel per year (bbl/yr) commercial brewery in Stowe, Vermont to expand production of their beers.
Weston & Sampson works with the Alchemist breweries in the Waterbury and Stowe facilities, assisting with permitting and design of pre-treatment systems for their wastewater discharge to remain compliant with state and local regulations. Wastewater generated by these facilities contain high levels of Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) and Total Suspended Solids (TSS). Weston & Sampson designed pre-treatment systems to reduce the levels of these contaminants to be equivalent with domestic wastewater prior to being discharged to the municipal collection systems. Other work included the installation of automated flow and pH monitoring facilities to allow for more consistent and efficient monitoring.
Contact us when you need brewery wastewater expertise
- Wastewater system and potable water supply permitting
- Pretreatment discharge permitting
- Negotiating water and wastewater allocations
- Water system construction and design permitting
- State-specific permitting assistance (i.e. ACT 250 - VT)
- Indirect discharge permitting
- Residuals management
- Developing and implementing sampling plans for permit compliance
- Piloting of treatment process equipment
- Design of pH adjustment systems
- Design of biological pretreatment systems to reduce wastewater strength
- Evaluation of indirect discharge systems and leach fields for on-site wastewater disposal
- Developing waste management plans for high strength byproducts
- Water filtration system design