Somerville Community Bike Path
The City of Somerville selected Weston & Sampson to develop final designs for its Community Path beginning at the intersection with Cedar Street and connecting to the existing bridge at Lowell Street. The project consisted of:
- Full-depth construction
- New hot mix asphalt porous pavement
- Connections to the existing Lowell Street Bridge using stairs and ramps
- New low stone retaining walls
- Drainage improvements
- Fixed and removable bollards
- New cement concrete pavers and concrete walks
- New ornamental lighting
- Benches, trash receptacles, and bicycle racks
- Brick pavers and landscaping
- New pavement markings and signage
The project was reviewed and constructed by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) and was required to meet their design standards.
The project required an extensive community participation program and coordination with key stakeholders, including the existing Veteran Nurses Association (VNA) property, a residential community currently under construction (i.e. MaxPak) and the future Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Greenline Station currently under design. In addition, the project required permanent and temporary right-of-way acquisitions, utility coordination, and a Phase I Soil Investigation. The path opened to the public in the summer of 2015.