Evaluation and Development of Big River Groundwater Supply
The State of Rhode Island selected Weston & Sampson to prepare a Business Plan, develop and permit water supply wells, and prepare 30 percent design drawings for pumping stations, water mains, and potential treatment facilities associated with this high profile wholesale water supply project.
Weston & Sampson’s knowledge of the history of the Big River area and early identification of critical issues will allow the development of the following key elements for planning, permitting, and developing this new groundwater supply.
- A final groundwater development scenario that is cost effective and environmentally sustainable
- Execution of long-term water supply agreements with nearby water purveyors, starting with Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) and water rate models
- Construction financing methods that are properly designed and implementable
- Satisfactory regulatory approvals for the selected development scenario
- Development and adoption of an effective business plan for the operating water utility
- Design of cost-effective water supply and delivery system improvements to satisfy all regulatory stakeholders
Preliminary modeling runs indicate up to 10 million gallons per day (MGD) can be supplied by the project.