Master Plan and Feasibility Study for Saratoga Racecourse
The New York Racing Association (NYRA) operates the three largest racecourses in New York – Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga. Saratoga Race Course is not only NYRA’s most historic racecourse, but also the oldest continuously operating sports facility in the United States. First used in the 1860s, the race course operates on a 335-acre campus, featuring a racing track, a training track, stables, general equine facilities, maintenance and office facilities, dormitories, a grandstand and clubhouse, and other hospitality facilities.
Weston & Sampson was a member of the consulting team engaged by NYRA to develop a master plan, site assessment, and feasibility study over two years, as a basis for $80M in long-term capital improvements proposed for the backstretch area of the Saratoga Race Course site. Weston & Sampson was hired to perform a boundary line survey and mapping for the entire Saratoga Race Course site.
Weston & Sampson’s scope of services included:
- Participation in Backstretch Master
- Plan development with two potential site options.
- Conceptuals and pre-design development summary for:
- General sitework (storm water management, earthwork, utilities, infrastructure, wells, septic system)
- New barn construction
- Existing barn refurbishment
- New Office/Tack room construction
- New Dormitory construction
- Existing Historic Resident refurbishment
- Phase I Site Assessment, Feasibility Study for 2 potential site options
- Perform existing site conditions assessment – utilities, services, infrastructure
- Prepare inventory of existing conditions
- Report on potential engineering issues and required improvements for each site option
- Recommend sustainable practices for each site option
- Advise on estimated construction costs associated with required improvements for each site option
- Summarize pros and cons for each site option
- Attend workshops and meetings with NYRA administrators as required