In May 2012, the MassDOT retained Weston & Sampson to provide design and construction services for improvements to three (3) stormwater pump stations located along the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90). The pump stations were originally constructed in the 1960s.
The stations include:
- Pump Station No. 1, located in a Harvard University owned parking lot;
- Pump Station No. 2, located underneath the Mass Turnpike near Boston University;
- Pump Station No. 4, located between the Mass Turnpike and the railroad tracks near Fenway Park.
Specifically, Pump Station No. 4 upgrades include:
- Replacing all three 15 HP constant speed turbine/propeller type pumps and check valves
- Replacing 7.5 HP submersible dewatering pump, guide rails and level control system
- Replacing existing superstructure with new precast concrete superstructure
On November 14, 2019, Pump Station No. 4 was upgraded as all 3 pieces of the precast pump station building were installed with no major issues.