Comprehensive Services Associated with the Construction of the Green Line Extension (GLX) Project
Weston & Sampson is assisting the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) in the Green Line Extension Project (GLX), which will serve the communities of Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford, Massachusetts. The proposed GLX Project will provide Green Line service beyond a relocated Lechmere Station to College Avenue in Medford by adding five new stations along the Medford/Lowell line. In addition to this, a second branch will be added along the Fitchburg/Lowell line from the relocated Lechmere Station to a proposed Union Square Station. In conjunction with other firms, Weston & Sampson has provided a range of project management services as part of this comprehensive, multi-faceted, multi-disciplined, and multi-entity project. These services include, but are not limited to design management, construction management, program controls oversight, real estate and third-party coordination, administrative support, and environmental support.
In 2015, following the realization that initial cost estimates greatly exceeded the GLX budget, MassDOT and the Fiscal Management Control Board decided that the GLX would proceed under certain conditions. Weston & Sampson was engaged to serve as the Interim Program Management Team (IPMT) to assess the current program scope/budget, develop and quantify potential re-scoping ideas, and propose a revised program to meet the Board-directed affordability criteria while complying with the conditions of the project’s Full-Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA).
Following the re-initiation of the GLX project, Weston & Sampson was chosen to serve as the Program Management Support Team (PMST). As the PMST, Weston & Sampson:
- Supported the development and/or compilation of the RFP Technical Provisions
- Participated in the Design-Builder Proposer one-on-one meetings
- >Reviewed Design-Builder Technical Proposals
- Develops and manages program control measures related to program funding, cost and budget management, schedule management, and risk management
- Manages the real estate acquisitions and third-party agreement execution
- Provides construction management support related to technical reviews of submittals and RFIs
- Provides Licensed Site Professional (LSP) services with various project-wide environmental issues; such as conducting regulatory inspections, reviewing laboratory reports, and providing technical reviewsBACK